- 425g dates
- 3 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 750ml water
- 150g butter
- 425g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 425g SR flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 400g brown sugar
- 2 cups cream
- 350g butter
- Large baking dish (40cm x 30cm x60cm deep)(Available from Heatlie if required).
- Light Roaster and keep heat on low.
- Place dates and water in saucepan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add bicarb. Soda. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs beating well, then add flour. Fold dates in to the mixture then place into greased pan. Cook in Roaster for 50 minutes or until cooked. While still warm, pour ½ cup of sauce over the pudding and allow to soak in. Serve with extra sauce and cream.
- To make sauce: place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm.